Thursday, July 24, 2008

The more things change...

Maybe if he just changed the batteries in the remote...

As you may or may not know, I've been on vacation for the past month, unable to keep up with the news and keep my blog up to date. A couple of post-dated posts are all I've been able to put up. So, given my lack of news (yes, no internet access) I thought it might be fun to see what the news headlines from my final "connected" day were and ask you to see what's come of these stories. It's been my experience from past years of occasional media withdrawal that with the exception of the odd major events, the same stories get recycled, re-spun and repackaged for our intake. Some of the headlines from Reuter's on June 24th, 2008 were:
1. Pressure mounts to call off Zimbabwe election
2. Home prices extend record slide in April
3. Bomb kills 6 Iraqis, 4 Americans in Baghdad
4. Dow Chemical sets new price hikes, cuts output
5. Iran says EU sanctions could hurt nuclear diplomacy
6. Voters and candidates react to higher energy costs
7. First contractor convicted under US military law in Iraq
8. Economy on brink of recession, Greenspan says
9. Border farmers seek change on guest workers
10. Group denies misleading media over Amazon tribe

Now, my theory is the things don't change too much, the news seems to run in a loop. Here's a list of corresponding stories I've written in the past three months (with numbers matching above):
1. Starving Billionaires; Zimbabwe, somewhere in Africa; Zimbabwe update #3
2. On Dollars and Dinars
3. Where to start?
4. Look out! It's a dinosaur from the 70's!?
5. When Talking Became a Bad Thing
6. When first we practice to deceive - lies part 2
7. Extra! Extra! America Violates International Law! (post-dated at time of writing, you can find it yourself)
8. What a Tangled Web We Weave - Lies Part 1
9. Fear of the Other
10. Attack From Above

Ok, ok, the stories don't all match up exactly, I've only been at this blogging thing a few months. What is interesting to examine though is how much news changes over time. Looking at my original posts and the headlines today (June 24th), there isn't much difference. So, dear reader, if I was to log on today, would I find that the story has changed in the past month? Somehow I doubt it, but let me know in the comments below. See you at the beginning of August!

3 comments:

Michal said...

that's July, not June;p

Shane said...

Hey Michal, glad to see at least one person commented on the post...however, in fact I did mean June 24th, the last day i was online in Poland, just goes to show how much the news stays the same. Back from summer camp, in the online world (dunno if that's a good thing). New posts should be coming soon! PS. I think i must have got your email wrong, send me a message to nahummer@gmail.com. Back in Poland in September! Shane

Michal said...

You're right, this got me confused - "Looking at my original posts and the headlines today (June 24th), there isn't much difference." thought you were comparing this month to a month ago. ;p look at me, spent a month without using English and I can't even comprehend a blog entry:P